Friday, December 21, 2012

Ong Cheng Huat Seafood, Bagan Lallang, Butterworth, Penang

Supposingly, I cannot write this post anymore and you cannot read it too because we are "supposed" to be dead by now, 21-12-2012. But somehow, there must be a mistake in Mayan calendar which I hope it will stay wrong forever and ever. Besides the Dooms Day, today is also Winter Solstice according to lunar calendar. But I am not going to talk about Winter Solstice as I am having a bad day today, leave it for my next post, hopefully. Ok, let's get back to business. Ong Cheng Huat, a seafood restaurant at Penang Mainland and I had my lunch there today. This restaurant is a seafood restaurant but it is not located near any seas or rivers or even ponds. It is situated near the jungle, and how I wonder it was called a seafood restaurant.

Ong Cheng Huat Seafood
Ong Cheng Huat Seafood

Under the blazing sun, I took this picture because the sign board is far away from the restaurant and it is near the road entrance. Normally, people go to this restaurant for the spring chickens. Yes! spring chicken! Again, not-so-related to seafood. But one thing, the seafood here is very fresh, even not near the sea. They do sell a lot of seafood here but limited as compared to other seafood restaurants.

Fried noodle
Fried noodle

I really like the fried noodle here. Although my friend from Penang claimed that this is just a normal fried noodle available elsewhere in Penang too but to me, NO! The other fried noodle is different from this one, maybe because my friend seldom eats outside.

Fried Kangkong with Sambal
Fried Kangkong with Sambal

Kangkong is also known as water glorybind, water spinach, water convolvulus or swamp cabbage! Sambal is a mixture of spices, shrimps, chili and some other stuffs and it is spicy. Weird thing, they only have 2 types of vegetables, either Kangkong or Emperor Vegetable (Basella Alba).

Spring chicken
Spring chicken

Spring chicken
Spring chicken

In case if you don't know what is spring chicken, it is a young chicken, aged from one or two to ten months old. It has a tender meat. My own definition, I called it "the son of the chicken" or "the baby chicken". The meat is different from the adult chicken.

Steamed fish
Steamed fish

Juicy and fresh
Juicy and fresh

Whity fresh
Whity fresh

The fish above is called "ang sai" in Hokkien. Its scientific name is Lutjanus erythropterus. It is also known as Crimson seaperch, Saddle-tail perch or Rounded snapper. It is very fresh. They steamed the fish with garlic, ginger and some ingredients. You choose either fish head or fish tail. Must try!

Since only my friend and I were going, so we didn't order much to avoid food wastage. I went there a few times and I think their "Quality Check" is really good, always the fresh one only to be on the tables. Besides, food serving time is really fast, all the above dishes were served within 10 minutes. I guess it is because they have a big kitchen with lots of chefs. With their limited menu, each chef is specialized in one dish, so serving time is fast. Not to forget, it is quite cheap too! Do try out if you are in Penang Mainland.

Venue
Ong Cheng Huat Seafood, Bagan Lallang, Butterworth, Penang

Google Map

View Larger Map

Price
Fried noodle RM5.00 (2 pax)
Fried Kangkong with Sambal RM5.00 (2 pax)
Spring chicken RM12.00 (RM6 each)
Steamed Fish Head RM26 (one side of head)

Business Hours
11AM - 5:30PM
Closed on Mondays

If you like my post and if you think it is interesting, please click the LIKE/SHARE button to share with your friends and family. After all, sharing is caring. Thanks :D
Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...